Feb 27, 2006

My Weekend

I had a great weekend!

Friday, we went to MoMA and saw Edvard Munch's work. I must say, I did enjoy it a lot despite the crowding. This guy was a dark depressed artist who questioned life and death - the absoulute cliche of an artist. I especially liked some of his work on wood grain - they seemed psychedelic and way ahead of his time. Also the pictures depicting strong emotions were interesting to say the least - this guy was painting his life experiences. And of course the famous "Scream" - I read how he described what he felt - and wondered if this guy was experiencing a panic attack...he definitely was experiencing a strong sense of dread. I've heard that feeling described to me before, although I've never personally experienced it.

Sunday we had brunch at Cafe Bar - which is turning out to be the best kept secret of Astoria. I have no idea how long it's been there...but the omelettes are superb. The coffee on the other hand...not so good - and if you plan on ordering a tea, do me a favor and bring your own tea bag or thermos unless you want to pay $4 for a cup. On the whole, the funky relaxed atmosphere was a welcome change to a busy crowded diner - a scene that has been replayed much too often. The food is excellent, I suggest you try it and invite me while you're at it - it's my new top breakfast/brunch place.

Sunday evening, my little cousins Briana and Nicholas (Nicky) came over. They are too cute. Briana gets shy-I have no idea why. Saskia was over this weekend, so it was one big renion.

4 comments:

k said...

funny, a group of us went to cafe bar for a late brunch on Sunday as well.

actually, the place is good all-around, not only for brunch. i like their salads and the vibe in the early evening is really chill (good trip-hop). also everyone i've taken there has liked the sandwiches and wraps (though I can't eat them, so can't agree or disagree). go there on a Wednesday night for dinner - they have a really great Greek band that plays.

Stevie ~ mono no aware said...

Cafe Bar has been there for almost 10 years. Their lunches are good too. But mums the word on it so it stays 'the best kept secret in Astoria'. ;)
Only critique I have is they have got to get a better cleaning crew.
But its worth tolerating.
*
Why can't Astoria have more places like that? DAG!
U can always tell a good place by their bread.

.:.marie.:. said...

I agree about the cleaning crew. And the furniture looked like it was picked off the street - in a good way (if that makes any sense).

BonBon said...

Gotta try this Cafe Bar...sounds fun and delicious.
Did Saskia ever tell you about my dumb blonde phone call, when I meant to call Gata, who's phone # is next to your mom's # in my cell, and I kept wondering where Gata was?
Saskia handled it all very gracefully.