Sep 11, 2006

5 Years Ago

I’ve been away from NY for a while, but the cool crispness of today felt very reminiscent of the September 11th of 5 years ago. I remember that morning like it was yesterday. I remember thinking to myself what a wonderful morning it was – the warm sun and the cool crispness of the air. I was so oblivious to the fact that it was the day the world scene would change. September in New York is just glorious. I had already forgotten. Spending the last couple of weeks in 80 degree weather, I had forgotten how nice the coolness was. I remember what September represented to me, at the time I was in college, and it meant a new semester – a new routine, a new start. Well, that day was a new start for everybody. Watching on TV last night, the many specials they had and seeing the footage of the towers falling, it still would make my heart stop. I remember seeing the tower fall with my very own eyes and hearing the voices and cries that filled my nightmares. As much as I always said I wish I stayed home that day, deep inside I don’t really mean it. It had so much influence on my life; it made me face new fears and shaped who I am today. Besides, I have a story to tell when someone asks me: “Where were you on September 11th?”

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I can't watch those 9/11 specials anymore.