Sep 29, 2006

Hospital

After being in a hospital 5 whole days this entire week and sleeping there for two nights, I was overjoyed to bring my mother home today. She is recuperating just fine and I am so happy for that.

Watching the nurses at work is something remarkable. I don’t know how they do it. I mean, caring and taking care of a family member is not easy – but helping someone that you are not related to, must take some deep compassion. I do feel for the people in the hospital, and have even assisted a woman at my mother’s bedside. But I don’t know if I could do it as a job. It must be rewarding at times, but at other times, a thankless job. You are dealing with people at their lowest point. Either they are deathly sick, or helpless from surgery…etc.

My aunt is a nurse, and I’ve seen her in action with my mom. It looked so natural. Then I thought about all the strangers she has to assist on a daily basis…

More power to all the nurses out there. (The good ones).

4 comments:

k said...

Glad your mother's doing so well. You're a good daughter, staying by her side that way.

Even though it pays very well, I agree--I could never be a nurse. Besides what you said--there's a lot of gross things to be dealt with. I can't imagine...

.:.marie.:. said...

Gross is right. This one guy kept pacing up and down the hall, then he was cursing the nurses out. He went to the bathroom and took a dump on the floor.

There are a lot of crazy people to deal with too, and that's mainly what I can't handle.

Gata said...

I could never be a nurse! Not a strong stomach.

Glad your mom is home, anyway.

Stevie ~ mono no aware said...

Nurse have one of the most thankless and selfless jobs. Its a sad state of affairs that a country as USA has to import folks to do the job as its own won't do it. Ironic huh...the ones they scorn wind up tending to them.
Your moms such a strong woman and surely her sense of humour and lightness of being helps her to deal with her load. And having a wonderful daughter as attentive and helpful as you makes her burden easier as well as fills her heart with contentment that her hertiage is so bountiful in heart and hands on generosity and love in action. U set a good model I hope I can emulate come the time.