Nov 21, 2006

Paul


I went here last night: Paul

From the moment I walked in, I could see that this bakery was a nice French bakery/cafe with an authentic feel. The decor is very warm & inviting. And it really did feel like I was in Europe - but for a moment.

I ordered a hot chocolate and a strawberry tart. I found, (much to my dismay) that the hot chocolate was comparable to a Swiss Miss packet with water, and the tart's crust was really hard. I found myself describing Marie Belle's hot, thick aztec chololate...ahh...nothing will ever compare.

The decor was lovely. After learning that there were 3 bakery/cafe's in the USA (only in FL), I could see how the decor was chain friendly. What do I mean by that? Well, the decor felt a little contrived. What could I expect, they want you to feel like you are in Europe and you do...sort of. But thinking back to Le Sans Souci's rustic French decor, I can't help but prefer that naturalness...the quality that you just can't duplicate.

I am willing to go back again, and give them another chance. Maybe try a quiche instead of a tart. (Jean Piero's mini fruit tarts were really good). Man, NY spoiled me! I feel like a snob. Anyway, if you come over, I'll take you there and you can make your own judgements!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Le Petite Prince is fantastic! Haven't had their new teas or hot chocolates yet though...