Mar 29, 2006

Insomnia

For the second time this week I have been experiencing some sort of insomnia. It all starts off by me dozing off only to wake up not long afterward with this feeling of antsyness (my made up word) that I can't describe. It's an itchy feeling...Like I can't stand to be in bed for another second. It's horrible. Especially since after waking up and feeling that way, frustration follows. So what do I do at that point? I take a hot shower. Seems like the first logical thing to do if I were feeling itchy. Although its probably a mental thing, it seems to help.

Last night it happened again. I was exhausted and had no idea why I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 3:30 am. So of to the shower I went. I chose to use a shower gel that had lavender for aromatherapy. I still felt awake, so I burnt some nice smelling incense that I bought from China Town a while back. It seemed to do the trick, I was out within minutes.

I don't know whether it's a sense of excitement, or anxiety about things I have to do...I think my mind is just awake and constantly working. At night I think it is important to have some unwinding time with a cup of tea, just to make a smooth transition from the hectic day to the bed. So tonight I plan on taking a shower and sipping some herbal tea before hitting the sack. I hope I don't wake up tonight!

I shoud take Ambien and sleepwalk and gorge on food in the middle of the night instead of waking up. At least I can multitask in my sleep! :) Ha.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Nerves usually set off insomnia, plus you are in a transitional phase so you're bound to be off balance slightly. Anyway, try not to do anything too active physically or mentally before bedtime. Don't eat any chocolate at night, and buy some Waving Not Drowing Bath Bomb from Lush. It works wonders!

k said...

it's stress/anxiety. i had the same thing not too long ago. having chammomile tea before bed helps a little bit.