Mar 22, 2006

Weird Memories

Cathy told me that if you think hard enough into your past, that weird experiences/stories will come up. Well, I have a story. I could picture it in my head as clear as day even though I was a little girl when it happened.

My aunt was driving the stationwagon. My mom was in the front seat, and I was sitting by myself in the back. We were on our way to somewhere when some young teenage-or early twenty something boys in a car flagged us down and told us to pull over. I remembered worried expressions on their faces. They said something was stuck underneath the car. So my aunt pulled over, I remember it was by Steinway street...I could be wrong. We all got out of the car. The young guys had a hammer, and I remember them going underneath our car banging around. One guy emerged with a black plastic garbage bag in hand, and they all gathered round us telling us that the car would have exploded had they not stopped us. They were asking for payment for "saving our lives." Next thing I knew, my aunt was pulling $10 or $15 dollars out of her wallet, and they were gone. Just like that. Thinking about it now, those guys were pure scam artists. My aunt was naive, and they took advantage of it. Thinking about that experience brings up a disturbed troubled feeling. It was sort of like I sensed something wasn't right, but I was too young to do anything about it. I must of been like 5 or 6.

In this world we are all victims somehow. Sigh...

3 comments:

Marie said...

Memories are really funny. I remember it was an early summer evening, and the sun was still bright...

Sometimes memories seem haunting...like if you close your eyes you could relive the experience again.

I sometimes bury memories that disturb me in the back of my head.

Catherine said...

Between that and your unwelcome intruder last fall, it's a wonder your nerves are intact at all!

We all get suckered at some point in our lives.

Marie said...

"ew, we don't want his scanky fur coat".

Scanky! That word made me crack up! That is an odd memory.